Society was built on refining things, seeing what works and what doesn’t. Menswear is no different. There are items that have survived centuries, or more, that are still popular today and are definitely worth you looking more into. Do you know what you would find in your bathroom that you would also find in an ancient Egyptian’s, or a Roman soldier’s?
On this episode of Real Men Real Style, Antonio takes a close look at 7 menswear items that have held up over the centuries. He looks at what has kept these trends alive and well, and why you should still be using them. You might be surprised to find that some of the ancient items- that are readily available in most stores- are actually superior to some of our more modern inventions.
Download this episode of Real Men Real Style to open your mind to the past, and get in touch with Menswear items that will keep you classy.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast #69: 7 Menswear Items That Have Been Around for 100 Years
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast #69: 7 Menswear Items That Have Been Around for 100 Years
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast #69: 7 Menswear Items That Have Been Around for 100 Years
7 Menswear Items That Have Been Around for 100 Years:
- Single-blade razors
- After shave
- Hats, pinned collars, club collar, hidden button collars, boutonnieres, ascots, pocket watches, casual silk scarves
- If an item has been around for 100 years, it’s doing something right.
- The two single blade razors out there are the straight razor and the safety razor.
- One straight razor can last you the rest of your life.
- Even the Egyptians used straight razors.
- Hair is associated with not being clean.
- Most men think cartridge razors are the only option.
- Cartridge razors lift hairs on the face, which can cause ingrown hairs.
- It can be hard to get to smaller areas with a cartridge razor.
- A shaving brush helps lift hairs and get a closer shave.
- The reason aftershaves were important was because they prevented infections.
- Aftershave also helps with irritations caused from shaving.
- Most after shaves don’t sting anymore.
- Romans used pomades as a soap.
- Pomade has shine, and strength for hold.
- Look for a water based pomade.
- Vest originally developed to add more warmth while allowing movement. Eventually they were developed to hide the waist area.
- Bowtie has the same formality as a necktie and can make you stand out.
- Neck ties can get in the way. Bow ties resolve that problem.
- If you want to build trust and confidence, wear a bow tie.
- Suspenders were made before belts were invented, are more comfortable than a belt, and help disperse the weight.
- Try to wear suspenders with buttons, not with clips.
- Some collars can come off as pretentious, but can make you stand out in a positive way.
- Find a hat that is functional and get comfortable with it.
- A hat can become a part of your style, and that’s when you start to look really good.
- When French soldiers were going into the trenches of WWI, their loved ones would pin flowers to their lapels.
- Knights often times wore flowers.
- What makes flowers beautiful is the fact that they won’t be around for long.
- Ascots, pocket watches, and casual silk scarves can be more for the dandy.
- Ancient Style Secrets Video
- Aqua Velva
There’s a reason some items have survived centuries, so learn how to use them!