When the winter chill sets in, quality winter jackets for men are key to keeping you warm. But with so many different winter jacket styles on the market, it can be hard to decide which one is right for you.
As ever – that's what I'm here for. In this article, I'm breaking out the best winter jacket styles for men in 2022 (and 2023!)
By the time we're finished, you'll know what to for in an awesome winter jacket and how to identify which style is best for you. So whether you're looking for a trendy bomber jacket or a classic pea coat, I've got you covered below.
We'll be covering:
- The Different Types of Winter Jackets For Men
- How to Choose the Right Winter Jacket For Your Body Type
The Different Types of Winter Jackets For Men
Winter jackets for men come in many different forms. Over the years, different styles, fabrics and functions have been developed and refined to create the winter jackets we know and love today.
That's a good thing – it means you've got a lot of choice when shopping for your perfect winter jacket. However, it's also a bad thing, because it means you've got A LOT of choice when it comes to shopping for your perfect winter jacket.
While I can't outline every winter jacket on the market (there are literally hundreds of styles across the world!), I can certainly outline the most common styles you'll see on men this winter.
Bomber jackets are a classic style of winter jacket that have been around for decades. They are typically made from a leather or nylon outer, with a quilted inner lining.
The key features of a bomber jacket are the ribbed cuffs and hem, which help to keep out the cold. Bomber jackets also usually have a zip fastening, as well as a few pockets on the front for storing your winter essentials.
The key to finding a bomber jacket that's suitable for cold and wet winters is taking the time to consider which material you purchase. After all, suede bomber jacket are very stylish, but they won't do much to keep you warm and dry if the weather takes a turn for the worse.
Instead, opt for a bomber jacket made from leather or nylon, which will offer better protection against the elements.
Parkas are another winter jacket style that have been around for many years. They are typically made from a water-resistant or waterproof outer fabric, with a thick fur or synthetic lining.
The key features of a parka include a large hood (usually lined with fur or synthetic insulation), as well as a waist drawstring which helps to keep out the cold. Parkas also usually have large pockets on the front, which are perfect for storing winter essentials like gloves and hats.
One of the great things about parkas is that they are suitable for both casual and formal occasions. So whether you're heading to the office or hitting the town, you'll be sure to stay warm and dry in a parka.
Puffer jackets are a more recent style of winter jacket, which have become increasingly popular over the past few years. They are typically made from a synthetic outer fabric, with a down or synthetic filling.
The key features of a puffer jacket include a thick lining (usually down or synthetic), as well as a hood and zip fastening. Puffer jackets also usually have several pockets on the front, which can be handy for storing winter essentials.
As the name would suggest, a puffer jacket is usually pretty darn puffy! The design features pockets of air and material which help to insulate the body and trap heat. This makes them ideal for winter weather, as they are extremely effective at keeping you warm.
However, it's worth noting that puffer jackets can be quite bulky, so they may not be suitable for everyone. If you're looking for a winter jacket that's slim-fitting and doesn't add too much bulk, then a puffer jacket probably isn't the right choice for you.
Pea coats are a classic style of winter jacket that have been around for centuries. They are typically made from a heavy wool outer fabric, with a synthetic or down filling.
I'd say they're one of the most traditional styles of winter jackets out there because they've been around for so long – and there's a good reason for that! The key features of a pea coat include a thick lining as well as large front pockets, chunky lapels, and a double-breasted button fastening.
The great thing about pea coats is that they are suitable for both casual and formal occasions. You can dress them up with a shirt and tie or dress them down in jeans and a polo shirt. In short, they're VERY versatile and will see you through most occasions during the colder months.
Trench coats are another winter jacket style that has been around for many years. In fact, the trench coat gets its name from WW1, when it was first worn by British soldiers in the trenches.
The key features of a trench coat include a water-resistant outer fabric, as well as a thick lining that's guaranteed to keep you warm regardless of conditions. Trench coats also usually have large lapels, a double-breasted button fastening, and several pockets on the front.
Trench coats are generally considered to be quite formal winter jackets. So if you're looking for something to wear to work or a special occasion, then a trench coat is definitely worth considering. They pair great with a suit and wouldn't look out of place on Wallstreet or Canary Wharf.
Leather Biker Jacket
Leather biker jackets are a winter jacket style that's been popularised by the likes of James Dean and Marlon Brando. Winter-suitable leather biker jackets are typically made from a heavy-duty leather outer, with a thick lining.
The key features of a leather biker jacket include large lapels, a zip fastening, plenty of pockets, and occasionally a metal belt. Leather biker jackets also usually have zips at the cuff, which allows you to adjust the fit to suit the garments you're wearing underneath.
Although they're called “biker jackets”, you don't actually have to be a biker to wear one! These days, leather biker jackets are worn by people from all walks of life.
To really make the most of a biker jacket in the winter, I would advise wearing one with a scarf. This can be a great way to stay warm and also look stylish – just make sure you choose a scarf that compliments the rest of your outfit!
Windbreakers are perfect if you live in incredibly windy conditions. They are usually made from a lightweight and water-resistant fabric, with a synthetic filling.
The key features of a winter windbreaker include a hood, which is great for protecting your head and face from the cold. Windbreakers also usually have a fastening that features several zips – designed to help keep the wind out!
If you live in a particularly cold climate, then a winter windbreaker is definitely worth considering. They are very effective at keeping the cold out and will also help to protect you from the wind. Just be aware that they're not suitable for everyone, as they can be quite bulky.
One thing to bear in mind with windbreakers is that many of them are not particularly well insulated, so they might not be suitable if you live in an area where it gets extremely cold in winter. However, if you do your research, you'll be able to find a windbreaker that has a thick fleece lining which should help to keep the cold at bay.
Fleece is one hell of a warm material. So jackets made entirely from fleece are definitely going to keep you snug as a bug in winter!
The key feature of a fleece jacket is, of course, the material. Fleece is made from polyester and has a soft, fluffy texture that's very pleasant to wear. If warmth and comfort are your aims, then a fleece jacket is probably the winter jacket for you.
One thing to bear in mind with fleece jackets is that they're rarely waterproof. Fleece isn't the sort of material that reacts well to getting wet, so if you're caught in a winter downpour, you'll probably end up feeling quite cold and uncomfortable.
It's also worth noting that fleece can be quite a bulky material. So if you're looking for a winter jacket that's easy to carry around, then a fleece might not be the best option.
How to Choose the Right Winter Jacket For Your Body Type
Your body type affects every item of clothing you wear – including winter jackets for men. As such, it's important that you understand the different style of winter jackets for men that suit different body types.
After all, no matter how stylish you think you look, a poorly fitted jacket on an incompatible body type isn't going to look good. Period.
Winter Jackets For Men With Dad-Bods
The winter dad-bod is a growing trend, with more and more men of all ages and sizes sporting a little extra weight around the stomach area.
And while some might see this as a negative, I believe that winter is the perfect time to embrace the dad-bod. After all, what's not to love about a man who's comfortable in his own skin?
That being said, finding the right winter jacket to flatter a dad-bod can be tricky. You want something that's going to accentuate your best features and downplay any problem areas.
Here are some of the best winter jackets for men with dad-bods:
- Parkas – Great for guys that aren't fat but pack a few pounds around the middle. The waistband on a parka can be cinched to create a more flattering silhouette.
- Puffer Jackets – A puffer jacket is a great option for men with larger stomachs, as the loose fit will help to conceal any excess weight. Just make sure you choose a puffer jacket that's not too big, as this can make you look even bigger than you are.
- Bomber Jackets – Bomber jackets are another great winter jacket style for men with dad-bods. The fitted waist and chest will help to create a more flattering shape, while the slightly shorter length will also help to slim down your overall appearance.
Winter Jackets For Men With Athletic Builds
If you're lucky enough to have an athletic build, then you'll have your pick of the best winter jackets for men. Almost any style of winter jacket will look great on you, as your muscular physique will fill out the clothes nicely.
However, there are a few winter jacket styles that will look particularly good on men with athletic builds:
- Leather Jackets – A leather jacket is the perfect winter jacket for men with muscular physiques. The tight fit will accentuate your muscles, while the rugged style will give you a cool, bad-boy image.
- Puffer Jackets – Although puffer jackets are often associated with larger guys, they can actually look great on men with athletic builds too. The key is to choose a puffer jacket that's not too big or bulky, as this can make you look out of proportion.
- Fleece Jackets – A fleece jacket is another great winter jacket option for men with athletic builds. The fitted silhouette will show off your muscles, while the fleece texture will add some extra bulk that will help to fill out the jacket nicely.
- Windbreaker – A windbreaker is a great winter jacket for men with Athletic builds, as the fitted silhouette will show off your muscles while the lightweight fabric will keep you feeling comfortable and cool.
Winter Jackets For Men With Larger Bodies
If you're a larger guy, then you might think that your winter fashion options are limited. However, there are actually a lot of great winter jacket styles for men with larger bodies. You need to strike a balance between warmth and slimming clothing, so try wearing:
- Fleece Jacket: Won't bulk you out too much. Yes, fleece is a thick material, but when compared to a puffer jacket, it's definitely considered slimline!
- Trench Coat: A trench coat is another great winter jacket for men with larger bodies. The long length will help to slim down your overall appearance. Find one with a belt and it'll help give your waistline definition by pulling you in at the sides and giving you more of a triangular appearance.
- Peacoat: A peacoat is a classic winter jacket style that looks great on men of all shapes and sizes. The double-breasted design will help to slim down your appearance, the wider lapels will help bring your wider silhouette into balance and the fact that it hits at the hip will help to elongate your body.
Winter Jackets For Men With Skinny Builds
If you're a skinny guy, the best winter jacket for you will be one that bulks you out.
As such, looking for a jacket with a bulky silhouette is essential. Anything with padded shoulders or a thick torso should help to broaden your appearance and make you look more muscular than you are!
As such, check out:
- Puffer Jackets: A puffer jacket is a great winter jacket for skinny men as it has a lot of volume. The quilted fabric will also help to add some texture and interest to your outfit, while the padded shoulders will help to broaden your frame.
- Bomber Jackets: A bomber jacket is another great winter jacket style for skinny men. The fitted waist and chest will help to create a more flattering shape, while the slightly shorter length will also help to slim down your overall appearance.
- Leather Jackets: A leather jacket is an excellent winter jacket for skinny men as it has a tight fit that will accentuate your muscles. The rugged style will also give you a cool, bad-boy image.