Have you considered how your clothing can actually help you break down barriers, and form better relationships with people? From a very young age, touch is important to humans, and all types of animals. A sense of touch is what’s so important between a mother and a child, and studies have shown that animals will actually choose texture over food when they are very young!
This is why touch breaks down barriers. When you’re on a date, or even just interacting with people in a purely platonic way, one person touching the other is one of the most powerful ways to develop deeper rapport and trust, and texture in clothing is a powerful motivator for touch.
You may not know it, but something really powerful happens when you’re with someone, and they reach out and touch you, or feel the material of your clothing. You’re instantly in rapport with them, and it seems like you’ve developed a closer relationship than time would allow! That’s how powerful it is, and that’s just one of the major reasons why you should put special care and interest in including variety and quality in the texture in your wardrobe.
Learn about more reasons why texture is important, and how you can start including it in your wardrobe today, on this episode of The Personal Image System Podcast!
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast 11: Texture & the Subconscious: The Science of Style
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast 11: Texture & the Subconscious: The Science of Style
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast 11: Texture & the Subconscious: The Science of Style
- Texture has an incredible subconscious effect on people.
- At a young age, we want to be able to touch other things. As we get older, it gets pushed back a bit, but it’s always there
- When you can touch someone, or they can touch you, it breaks down a lot of barriers
- Texture in clothing can have the effect of making people subconsciously want to touch you, which then breaks down barriers and gives you a closer relationship with you
- Texture can also send a message of masculinity. Think: Leather jacket
- Texture also shows the importance of taking care of your skin, especially as you age. Maintaining good skin texture as you age will help you be more trustworthy by helping people to want to shake your hand, touch you, etc
- Bring texture into your wardrobe by making it a priority
- Bring sweaters into your wardrobe. Even during summer, look for light-weight
- Look for variety of fabric in your clothes
- A lot of people never consider texture in shoes, but it’s important! Look for suede, different types of leather and even fabric
Don’t neglect texture in the clothing you wear! Texture in your wardrobe can actually help people break down barriers toward you, and develop a closer relationship!