Do you have your dream job?
Yes, lucky you.
However I bet most of you don't have that perfect job just yet.
Instead you're working at a job that's good enough….
….or possibly that you downright hate.
The days eventually slip into months and years and you are left wondering if you truly made a difference in the world in your line of work.
It does not have to be this way.
You can find your dream job.
Today I'm going to provide you with the 5 actionable steps needed to land a job you're passionate about.
#1 Have A Strong Elevator Pitch
Opportunities present themselves when we least expect them.
So be prepared!
Coming up with and practicing your elevator pitch will lead you ahead of the pack and make you laser focus when being introduced with people that matter.
The benefits to having an elevator pitch are many but you will appreciate having one for two main reasons:
- Be Memorable – Nothing is worse than being introduced to a bunch of people and at the end of the day none can remember your name or remember what you do. Become memorable by having a 30 second elevator pitch prepared about yourself and you deliver value.
- Be Referable – We now live in a globalized world and it's pretty easy to get your name spread out across a network of people. For instance – You meet a recruiter who really takes a liking to you but has nothing to offer you as far as your dream job is concerned. However, they very likely have a network of other recruiters who do. If you make a strong impression so they know exactly how you can help them, the likelihood of that person passing your contact information to others is high.
Once you discover what you want to do in life and perfect your elevator pitch you will be one step closer to landing the job you want.
#2 Build Relationships With People Who Have Your Dream Job
Ask any random man on the street what their dream job as and most will jump at the chance in letting you know.
Ask this same person if they currently know anyone in the field and you will probably hear a no. If you think of it, knowing someone in the field you want to work in sounds like a common next step to take but surprisingly not many people make those critical connections.
Some of you reading this might doubt how making these connections with the people in the field you want to work in will help.
Here are the reasons they can:
- Is the job as good as it seems – What better way to determine how good your dream job actually is than from asking it directly from someone living it. You will get an understanding if the work involved and the day-to-day activities that are not commonly know from an outsider looking in
- Build relationships – Think of the competitive advantage you will gain having a network of friends in the industry. You will be much more likely to be referred when a position opens open over an outsider with no direct contacts. At the very least you will have made some new friends in your professional circle.
- Get insider information – Not all roads to success are are a straight path. Most actually are not. Being able to ask your contacts the steps they have taken to land their dream job are invaluable. You will learn what steps to take and what mistakes to avoid along the way. Priceless information!
#3 Build Routines That Move You Toward Your Goal
Taking a few huge steps on your pursuit of your goals may work well in the movies but this rarely is the case in reality.
For the average Joe the small incremental steps are what get you the results in the end.
There are a few things you can do every day that can take you closer to your goal. Each persons situation is different but here are some universal steps that should be applicable to improving any situation you find yourself in:
- Read books – It doesn't matter what job you are passionate about. There are experts who have laid the ground work for you and in many cases laid this information out in a book. You should make it a habit to obtain as much knowledge as you can on your profession every single day.
- Reach Out – Tied closely to point number, 2 send out an email or give a call to someone in the position you would like to be in. You Would be surprised how many people will say yes. A perfect example of how a small action on your part can lead to something big.
#4 Be Positive – Replace “Don't” With “How”
Having a positive mindset will put you on the path to success much faster than a negative one will.
The easiest way to do this is to re-frame your thought process.
Instead of being negative with a bunch of “I don't” and “I can't” phrases try to incorporate “how”.
Every problem should be seen as solvable and a great learning experience to tack on your belt.
#5 Get the Right Type of Help
While we can take all the necessary steps we can to land our dream job it always works out better with a little help.
Look into getting a mentor or taking some courses either in-person or online to better yourself.
These options will expend your knowledge at a quicker pace compared to doing it all on your own.
Plus, I am a huge advocate in learning from other peoples mistakes. What better way to do that than to hear first hand from the people who have done it before.
In conclusion – The job you dream of is yours IF you put in the work and effort to deserve it.
Go the extra mile by incorporating the tips we have laid out and do what you can to be memorable and referable.