Have you ever stood in front of a mirror and felt something was off about your shirt?
But you can't put your finger on why you get that feeling?
You're not alone.
Too many men are satisfied with imperfect shirts.
That's understandable if you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on the finer points of sartorial perfection.
Finding the elusive perfect shirt is both difficult and time-consuming.
What difference does it make?
The shirt is an important clothing item due to its proximity to the face. It also covers about half your body. A well fitting shirt accentuates the parts of your body that are in great shape while cleverly hiding the parts you're not so proud of.
When worn under layers, the collar, placket, and cuffs are important details that can make or break your outfit.
How does a guy find a shirt that fits perfectly and looks good?
#1 Perfect Dress Shirt – FIT
You have heard me say a thousand times before that fit is king.
It bears repeating again. If it doesn't fit right, don't buy it.
What constitutes a perfect fit for a shirt?
Comfort is often the main criterion while shopping for men's shirts. The perfect fit on a shirt primarily ensures freedom of movement (comfort) while presenting your body in the best light possible.
- The armholes should be high enough to prevent restricted motion.
- You should be able to slide two fingers between the collar and your neck when the shirt is buttoned up.
- The shirt sleeve cuffs should end where your palm meets your wrist.
- The sleeves should be neither tight nor billowy, to allow for natural movement.
- The shoulders should end at the point where your upper arm meets your shoulder.
- There should be no more than 3-4 inches of fabric when you pull lightly around the torso of the shirt.
- Look for pleats on the back to cinch the shirt around your torso and help conform the shirt to your specific body type.
- If you plan to wear it tucked and untucked, make sure that the end of the shirt doesn't extend past the bottom of your back pocket.