Everybody wants to find their own personal style. That one look that can be uniquely you, that can portray those aspects of your personality to the world that you would like portrayed, and that can become your signature look. What most don’t realize is how well copying other styles that you appreciate, from style icons of the past and present, can set you up to have that exact type of impact through the way you present yourself.
It seems backwards, doesn’t it? That mimicking or copying someone else’s style could in fact aid in your ability to develop your own style seems unlikely. But that’s exactly what can happen! Because as you start to allow yourself to take aspects of a personal style from people you who’s style you admire, you’ll also start to realize the ways that you can tweak it and make it your own.
This is when the magic happens. When, after establishing a solid stylistic foundation through the mimicking of your favorite style icon(s), you begin to bring your own unique taste and ideas to the table. That’s when it actually becomes your own personal look and style, and you’re no longer copying anyone. You’ve actually established your own look, through a solid foundation laid in mimicking.
Then, the most important step is to wear your chosen style and presentation with confidence. This is the major step that makes a style icon stand out. They’re not constantly checking themselves to make sure everything is in place and how they want it. They strike out with confidence throughout their day, and this confidence brings an extra level of iconic style to what they do. Approach your days with the same attitude, and you will be able to have that same kind of impact through your own personal stylistic decisions.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast 7: Using Style Icons as a Foundation for Your Personal Style
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast 7: Using Style Icons as a Foundation for Your Personal Style
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast 7: Using Style Icons as a Foundation for Your Personal Style
- Style inspiration is the fire that gets you excited about style, and gives you ideas of where you can go with your style
- There is a huge variety of options for inspiration, and most people won’t pick up on the fact that you’re doing it
- Don’t worry about the idea that some people might notice what you’re trying to do
- When you try to mimick, you start to take it your own direction, and make it your own. The inspiration is just something to get you started
- What can you learn from the rockstars of different industries, to bring that confidence and style to your own presentation?
- Invest in your look, pay attention when you’re starting in the morning, but then walk forward with confidence, because that’s what really makes you look good
Don’t be afraid to copy other people’s style. This is a great way to kickstart your own fashion sensibilities, and it gives you a base, from which to refine your own personal style.