Can you win the Superbowl focusing only on defense?
It was unheard of until 1985.
That was the year assistant coach “Buddy” Ryan inspired the Chicago Bears to win the finals with a defensive strategy.
Ryan went on to become head coach for the Philadelphia Eagles.
But the defensive strategy did not work as well for the Eagles.
Was it because the focus was on continuing to play defense rather than going on the offensive?
Often, the best defense is a strong offense.
Gentlemen, the same attitude applies to your style philosophies.
Most people are unaware that they have a style philosophy.
If you are too focussed on playing a defensive style game, your clothing choices are going to be average. This kind of mentality sets you up to be another statistic in the crowd.
Going on the offensive involves making bold wardrobe choices which will get you noticed in a sea of people.
It's time to step up the offense and start scoring touchdowns.
Offensive Vs Defensive Style With Fragrance
It's easy to adopt a play-it-safe attitude when it comes to scent.
While most men are caught in the defensive “I don't want to smell bad” strategy by putting on deodorant, you can flip the game on the offensive by embracing the positive effects of fragrance.
About 20% of the male population wear fragrance regularly. 80% of men make the mistake of not understanding the power of scent!
Don't be part of the majority. Understand how fragrance affects you and has an effect on others too.
How does fragrance affect you?
The International Flavors and Fragrances (IFF) published a study in Chemical Sciences that gives empirical data proving that smell affects mood. Fragrance can help you reduce stress, build confidence, and improve memory
How does fragrance affect others?
A good scent will have a positive effect on others. When you smell nice, people associate you with a signature scent. It becomes a part of your identity. It also makes you inviting as fragrance creates an enjoyable atmosphere for engaging with people.
Finally, many women report that men are more attractive when they wear a great scent. In fact, studies show that scent is the #1 factor in mate selection.
Offensive Vs Defensive Style With Clothing
Do you dress to blend in or to stand out?
If you want to be at the top of your game, stand out from the crowd with bold colors and accessories that compliment your face.
Being an outlier, the best-dressed man in the room requires practice and persistence.
It takes courage to be the best-dressed man in the room. By leading the way, you set the bar for your buddies to follow.
How does dressing well improve your chances of success?
Any man who wants to be at the top of his game will use the Halo Effect to his advantage.
The “Halo Effect” refers to the fact that people who are well-dressed and look the part tend to experience more success in their field.
Studies show that a man who is enlisted in the army and visually matches our preconceived notions of a soldier is more likely to get promoted over another man who is just as or even more qualified for the job.
Imagine walking into an interview for a sales position and you are dressed in a well-fitted suit while the rest are wearing a tie-less jacket and chino combinations. You have already set yourself up for a favorable first impression.
Offensive Vs Defensive Style With Accessories
Are you on the defensive with your accessories? Do you wear simple, functional pieces that don't draw any attention to themselves?
It could be a subtle pair of glasses or a simple watch. Understand that accessories send signals of strength, power, and creativity.
Own a stand-out accessory, a conversation-starter.
The best way to boost your outfit is with a statement piece such as a pair of colored glasses, a bracelet, a timepiece that stands out, and a quality leather bag.
Consider wearing red, yellow, or blue frames to pull an observer's attention straight to your face. Instantly boost your attractiveness by wearing a pair of sunglasses suitable for your face shape. Wayfarers, for instance, are a classic and timeless style that stands out for its distinct shape.
What are the types of jewelry that men can wear?
- Watch: Depending on the occasion, you can wear a timepiece that complements your outfit and still stands on its own as an interesting conversation starter. Stay away from bulky watches that scream for attention. Look for a watch that has character – a mechanical timepiece with a view of the internal mechanism, for instance.
- Bracelet: Your choice of bracelet conveys a lot about your personality. Pair your leather banded dress watch with a slim link silver chain on the same side of the wrist. For casual occasions, combine a casual timepiece with a brown beaded, leather, or woven fibers bracelet.
- Rings: A traditional wedding band on the left ring finger is the most common piece of jewelry worn by married men. A signet is an age-old piece of ornament that lends an aristocratic look to the wearer.
- Cufflinks: Project authority, eloquence and elegance just like they had been first used in 16th century France. Business leaders, world leaders, and celebrities can be seen wearing one during social events and formal gatherings.
- Tie Clip: Also referred to as a tie bar, this useful piece of accessory aligns and holds your tie in place, while adding an extra dimension to your outfit.
- Lapel Pin: An excellent add-on that can be attached to your suit jacket's lapel.
The choice is yours – make average style decisions that put you on the defensive or step up your game and start playing offensive with bolder clothing choices.
You can decide whether it is enough to do the minimum and blend in with the crowd or step up and score a touchdown with your clothes and grooming.