Question for you…
What do Mark Zuckerburg, Christopher Nolan, and Karl Lagerfeld have in common?
They all wear uniforms.
When it comes to style, successful people master 3 important lessons
A. J. Biddle had the money to buy whatever outfits he wanted…
But he owned a small interchangeable wardrobe.
Leaders understand that energy saved in their clothing decisions meant they could better use it elsewhere.
Like saving the world. Or revolutionizing the way people interact and connect socially.
We look to these men for examples for how to lead in our businesses, how to be effective with the limited 24/7, and how to live more fulfilled lives.
Take a look at their style choices too and learn how to control your message, have an interchangeable wardrobe, and keep it consistent.
This article will cover 7 benefits of mastering your uniform.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #1 – Control Your Message
Control is about knowing the message you want to send.
When you think of Steve Jobs what do you think of? The turtle neck. The jeans. The running shoes. He wanted to send the message that he was a normal everyday guy.
When you look at Mark Zuckerburg what do you think of? The all gray wardrobe. The message is that he is a computer whiz first and a CEO second. The fewer decisions he makes on his outfit, the more energy he has to run his company.
Control your message by making appropriate wardrobe choices.
A dark, tailored suit conveys a message of authority. A t-shirt and jeans ensemble sets you aside as a tech entrepreneur or student.
Decide what image you want to portray and adjust your clothing accordingly. If you want to be perceived as an intelligent and smart man, adding a pair of glasses to your outfit instantly elevates your perceived intellectual value.
If you want to be perceived as an intelligent and smart man, adding a pair of glasses to your outfit instantly elevates your perceived intellectual value.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #2 – Save Time
Too much choice is overwhelming.
Every time you stare at a closet stuffed with clothes, you get an overwhelming sensation that none of the clothes go well together. An excess of choice creates a paralysis.
Cleaning up your wardrobe can be a major space-saver, it can feel liberating, and it is economical.
The most rewarding aspect of simplifying your wardrobe is the time and energy you save each morning. That's one decision made easier just because you have fewer clothes to choose from.
And since you filled your wardrobe wit only your favorite and highest quality clothes, you know you can't go wrong.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #3 – Save Money
Creating an interchangeable wardrobe allows you to create more outfits with fewer items.
As a result, you will require less clothing. Having fewer clothing items in your wardrobe forces you to carefully consider any new purchases. Both ways, you spend less money on clothes.
By keeping your wardrobe simple, you also spend less time at shopping malls and browsing online stores. When you spend less money on clothes and accessories you don't really need, you have spare cash for more important things in your life.
When you spend less money on clothes and accessories you don't really need, you have spare cash for more important things in your life.
Less money spent on clothes means more money to spend on your personal development.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #4 – Save Mental Energy
Make smarter decisions.
What's the science backing this claim?
A scientific study shows that a majority of successful men around the world prefer to wear the same outfit daily.
Wearing the same outfit every day helps them avoid what psychologists refer to as decision fatigue.
President Obama only wears gray or blue suits. By paring down decisions about what to wear and what to eat, he saves mental energy that is required for much more important decisions.
Mark Zuckerberg, too, insists on making as few decisions as possible regarding his clothing. His dedication to best serve the community through his company is evident through his simple wardrobe choices.
In comparison to the magnitude of his work through his businesses, wasting time deciding what clothes to wear seems to be a waste of valuable time. Hence, Zuckerberg created a system, a uniform of gray t-shirt and dark jeans.
Own only clothing that you love and makes you feel great because it saves your mental energy and reduces the overwhelm of clutter. As a result, you will have more mental energy, which leads to greater productivity for the rest of your day.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #5 – Improve Clarity Of Thought
Clutter affects your brain. Physical clutter causes an overload on your senses.
This creates stress, impairing your ability to think creatively.
Excess items in your wardrobe tend to have a negative impact on your ability to focus and process information.
Neuroscientists at Princeton University arrived at this conclusion when they observed people’s task performance in an organized versus disorganized environment.
The study shows that physical clutter in your environment competes for your attention, resulting in stress and decreased performance.
What happens most often in a cluttered wardrobe?
- You tend to overlook some of your best clothes because you can't even see them under the clutter.
- A cluttered wardrobe is difficult to maintain. Clear the clutter and commit to a system that keeps it to the bare minimum.
- You end up repeatedly buying clothes in a color and pattern you already own. Because of the clutter, you forgot what was hidden deep in the recesses of your closet.
Develop a system to rotate your clothes. One that allows you to see all your clothes at one glance.
Next, apply constraints to your shopping habits. For instance, when you buy a new item of clothing, donate a similar item that has been part of your wardrobe the longest.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #6 – Own Only Clothing You Love
Get rid of clothes that are an incorrect fit, color, pattern, fabric, and don't suit your lifestyle.
To look your best, you need to be committed to nothing but the best in your clothing choices. That doesn't necessarily equate to the most expensive, but instead the following factors:
- Flawless Fit:You know that feeling of confidence when you slip into a well-fitted suit? It's possible to feel that way with some simple changes to your favorite clothes – alter them for the perfect fit. Your clothes need to fit your body in its current shape.
- Remove Duplicates: Do you really need 5 white shirts and 4 pairs of blue jeans? Keep the best of all duplicate clothing items and get rid of the rest.
- Versatility: Hang on to versatile clothing items. A pair of gray flannel trousers, navy blue sports coat, brown leather shoes, and a white shirt are examples of versatile clothes that can be paired with almost all the other items in your wardrobe. The purple leather pants you wore for Halloween 15 years ago no longer serves a purpose.
- Complimenting Colors: Do you have a high contrast between your complexion, hair and eye color? Create a similar effect by choosing contrasting colors in your clothing. Avoid wearing clothes that have a dulling effect on your face.
- Quality Fabrics: The fabrics you choose have an impact on the comfort, fit, and appearance of the clothing item. Ensure the fabrics are relevant to the climate you are most likely to experience.
- Lifestyle: If you are a student, a single suit in your wardrobe is sufficient for special occasions. Keep the clothes that are most relevant to your lifestyle.
- Comfort: Any pains taken in perfecting your wardrobe is a waste if your clothes are uncomfortable. Ensure that the clothes you keep are comfortable.
Put aside forgotten clothes and accessories that never get to see the light of day. If these items have not been used within a month, perhaps it's time to let them go.
Smart Men Wardrobe Benefit #7 – Improved Lifestyle Choices
Downsizing your wardrobe will inspire you to downsize other areas of your life too. This simplicity in choices will likely trickle into other areas of your life.
You might find yourself inspired to remove things from your desk, calendar, and inbox.
Simplicity becomes a lifestyle as you realize the clarity gained from adjusting this one area of your life.
When you have fewer choices to make in the morning, you tend to move through the day with more clarity.
This clarity extends to your shopping choices as well. Well-dressed men know that nothing worthwhile is ever out of vogue.
They resist the temptation of acquiring the latest trend. A good tailor's work, for instance, is timeless if it looks great on you.
When you realize you don’t miss the stuff that used to clutter your wardrobe, letting go of things gets easier. You’ll be inspired to live simply in other areas of your life too. Saving your energy and attention for the most important things, the things that truly matter.