Have you put much thought into how you sit? What you do with your legs can actually affect your mentality, as well as the signals you are giving off to other people.
Believe it or not, when you sit with your legs crossed this can send off negative signals to people. It makes you appear closed off, and like you aren’t listening. This can cause problems in business – especially if you are trying to negotiate.
In fact there was even a study by Gerard I. Nierenberg and Henry H. Calero that showed out of 2,000 negotiations that were recorded, not a single one ended with legs being crossed. That’s a pretty definitive conclusion.
Download this episode of Real Men Real Style to hear more about what signals your legs may be unintentionally sending off.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast #76: Is It Manly To Sit With Your Legs Crossed?
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast #76: Is It Manly To Sit With Your Legs Crossed?
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast #76: Is It Manly To Sit With Your Legs Crossed?
5 Sitting Positions:
- Legs out front with the knees together.
- Legs out front with the knees spread.
- Leg over leg cross position.
- Figure 4 leg cross position position.
- Ankle-lock position.
- The way you placed your legs when you sit sends a message.
- It indicates where you are from.
- If someone sits with their legs crossed that normally don’t, it can be a signal that something is wrong.
- The further something is from your body, the less you think about the action it takes.
- You have to have observed someone’s normal behavior to get an idea about their verbal behavior.
- Be respectful with how wide you have your legs spread.
- Wider spread legs shows dominance.
- Someone bouncing their legs shows that they are nervous.
- Leg over leg is more common in Europe.
- Figure 4 leg shows a higher status and is more common in America.
- When making decisions or negotiations, you shouldn’t have your legs crossed.
- If you are a natural leg crosser, you may be sending a negative signal.
Understand that your leg position has an affect on you and others.