Beards have made a tremendous resurgence of late. Out of style for most of the 90’s and 2000’s, they’re comeback is apparent everywhere you look. But the question of whether they’re the right decision for you personally still depends on several factors, and that’s what this episode of The Personal Image System is all about.
This episode goes through the studies that have been done regarding facial hair, and its effect on the those who interact with the person who touts it. Men with beards tend to come off as more aggressive, older, and more commanding than those without. Contrarily, those with completely shaven faces will be considered younger, and kinder. The question is what message you want to send. If you are reaching an older age, and are attempting to display a younger version of yourself, perhaps completely shaven look is the right one for you. Conversely, if your goal is to look a bit older than you are, perhaps more mature, a well-groomed beard might be a smart decision.
We dig into all of this and more, including questions about whether it may be a good idea to shave your head at some point, when hair starts to thin,and what effect that will have on people who interact with you. If you want to learn about the right circumstances and reasons to grow or shave both facial hair and hair on the top of your head, then this episode is for you! Get ready to learn and grow on this episode of The Personal Image System.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast 16: Facial Hair & Bald Heads – The Science Of Style
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast 16: Facial Hair & Bald Heads – The Science Of Style
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast 16: Facial Hair & Bald Heads – The Science Of Style
- A study showed that professional baseball players with beards outperformed those without in the previous decade of all-star games
- Beard care and maintenance is essential, if you decide that facial hair is the right thing for you
- Beards send a strong message of masculinity
- Research shows that aggressive men with beards come off as more scary than those without
- Beards will make you look older and more mature
- Not all beards are created equal. Not all men can grow a good beard
- Contrarily, if you want to come off as more youthful, consider shaving your beard
- Completely shaven faces are sometimes considered more attractive and social
- A shaved head will often come across as more dominant, confident, masculine, older, taller and stronger. unshaved: more attractive
Understand the effect that facial hair, or a bald head, will have on your presentation. As always, know your audience and the role you want to play, and make decisions accordingly.