While manners are cross-cultural, and apply to all people groups and mindsets, etiquette refers to specific rules, set by societies and groups, for standard behavior under certain circumstances. Etiquette is extremely important in making a good impression, and the fact that you took the time to research and become good at etiquette actually shows another level of investment and may mean even more to those you want to make a good impression on.
So research is essential if you want to be good at etiquette. If you’re going to a party or gathering, know what is expected of you, and the environment that you’re going into, and make sure you meet those expectations. Do your homework! You may be surprised at how good the impression that you make can be if you just do some simple research.
That’s what this entire podcast is all about. Giving you the tools, helping you with your research, so that you can come across as a more accomplished, thoughtful, likeable person. If you want to be successful in your efforts in like life, regardless of what those efforts are, making a good impression on those around you will be one of the most important aspects of what you do, and that’s what this episode is all about. So learn how to make the best impression possible on this episode of The Personal Image System.
Click here to listen on iTunes – Podcast 18: How Knowing the Rules of Etiquette Can Determine Success
Click here to listen on Soundcloud – Podcast 18: How Knowing the Rules of Etiquette Can Determine Success
Click here to listen on Stitcher – Podcast 18: How Knowing the Rules of Etiquette Can Determine Success
- Etiquette: The sum of your behaviors and how they measure up to other people’s expectations
- These are the rigid rules in a society, and it’s going to be very different in different cultures
- Because of this, research on etiquette is essential, and very worthwhile if you want to create a good impression
- Always be aware of the situation and the expectations of other people
- Be thoughtful of what the guest has requested, and what would make them the most happy and at rest
- Confidence is not about aggression over assertiveness, it’s about you doing your homework, knowing what is expected of you, and making a good impression
- Always look for ways that you can add value, and make other’s lives easier. Think of others
- Always attempt to be a positive presence, and that your presence is changing the dynamic of the room of the better
- Make a habit of thoughtful gestures. Look for things that need to be done, things that would make other people’s lives easier, and then go ahead and do it
- Always greet people with a smile, with a handshake, look in their eyes, and say their names
- Make a habit of remembering names and using them frequently
- In work situations, above all else, do no harm. Don’t embarrass or belittle anyone ever
- In a business environment, don’t go beyond a handshake in touching
- Casual does not mean sloppy
- Make an effort to become a good listener. Being a good listener will make people really like you
Do your research before entering a situation. Know what is expected of you, and meet those expectations to make a good impression.