In the early days of rock and roll, Elvis Presley was among the most stylish of US-born performers.
He had a look that was all his own, and people were drawn to it like moths to a flame. Even today, Elvis is considered to be one of the best-dressed rockstars of all time. But how can regular guys pull off this lock without looking like a Presley impersonator?
In this article, we'll outline some of the key elements of Elvis's style and show you how to put them together in your own with ease.
We'll be covering:
- What Made Elvis So Stylish?
- How To Style Your Hair Like Elvis
- How To Dress Like Elvis
- Does The Elvis Look Still Work Today?
#1 What Made Elvis So Stylish?
Elvis was a rock god – everyone knows that. But how many of your guys have stopped to check out young Elvis' style?
Take a minute and check it out, and you'll start to see what I mean. Elvis had a style that was all his own, and he didn't stick to just one look. He constantly changed things, tried new things, and pushed boundaries. And it paid off – people were drawn to him like moths to a flame.
There are a few key elements that made Elvis's style so special:
- His hair: Elvis's hair was always impeccably styled, whether he was wearing it slicked back or in his signature pompadour.
- His clothing: Elvis loved color and wasn't afraid to experiment with different styles of clothing. He often incorporated patterns and textures into his looks, which added visual interest and showed off his personality.
- His accessories: Elvis was a master of accessorizing and knew how to use accessories to pull his looks together. He often wore glasses, belts, and scarves as part of his outfit, and he always made sure they were in keeping with the overall aesthetic.
#2 How To Style Your Hair Like Elvis
One of the most iconic things about Elvis's style was his hair.
He wore it in various styles, but the one he's most famous for is the pompadour.
The pompadour is a hairstyle that's characterized by its tall, voluminous silhouette. To achieve this look, you'll need to use some product to give your hair hold and texture:
- Start by applying a small amount of pomade to your damp hair and combing it back away from your face.
- Then, use a brush or comb to push the front section of your hair up and back. You can either leave it like this or use your fingers to create a more defined shape.
- If your hair is too wet or thick to stay in the shape you want, try using a blow dryer to help it along. Once you're happy with the shape of your pompadour, mist it with a little hairspray to keep it in place.
- Once you're happy with the overall look, mist your hair with some hairspray to keep everything in place.
If you want to try a different Elvis hairstyle, you can also opt for the slicked-back look. This is a style that's perfect for those with shorter hair, as it doesn't require any length or volume.
To achieve this look, simply apply some pomade to your damp hair and comb it back away from your face. If you use a strong enough pomade, you won't need to use hair spray to keep it in place.
If you want to add a little more interest to your slicked-back hairstyle, you can try parting it on the side. This will give you a more defined look that's perfect for formal occasions.
To do this, simply use a comb to create a deep side part in your hair. Then, apply your pomade and comb your hair back as usual.
#3 How To Dress Like Elvis
To really nail that young Elvis look, you need to get the whole package right – not just the hair.
Elvis was a man of the 50s and 60s, and men's style was different back then. However, there are a few key elements of his style that you can incorporate into your own look:
- Tight-fitting clothes: Elvis's clothes were always tight-fitting, which showed off his slim figure. If you want to achieve this look, opt for slim-fitting clothes and tailored suits that hug your body in all the right places. Warning: For many guys, skinny jeans won't work. Unless you're super slim, I'd advise opting for slim-cut jeans instead of skinny.
- Bold colors and patterns: Elvis loved color and wasn't afraid to experiment with different prints and patterns. Try incorporating bold hues and interesting textures into your wardrobe to get this look. The best place to do this is in your shirts – why not try a Hawaiian shirt or striped number that gives retro vibes without looking too outdated?
- Black Leather Jacket: the perfect piece to throw on over any outfit to give it an edgy, rock ‘n' roll vibe. Be it a biker or a bomber, no man can go wrong with a well-fitting leather jacket to complete the Elvis look.
- Blue Suede Shoes: No Elvis look would be complete without a pair of blue suede shoes. These are the perfect finishing touch to any outfit and will really help you channel your inner rock star. Alternatively, a pair of black penny loafers also look pretty rock and roll.
- Accessories: as mentioned before, Elvis was a master of accessorizing and knew how to use accessories to pull his looks together. Try pairing your clothes with some retro accessories if you want to add a little Elvis flair to your outfit. A pair of mirrored shades (aviators or wayfarers) and rock and roll-themed belt could be a great way to achieve that young Elvis vibe without looking like a tribute act for the King.
A word of warning, I would avoid taking style inspiration from Elvis in his later years. His dress sense wasn't exactly great in his later years, and no man on this planet could pull off that rhinestone jumpsuit with his chest hair showing.
#4 Does The Elvis Look Still Work Today?
Retro clothing is pretty darn popular in the modern day. Sure there are some items from the 50s and 60s that should remain there, but for the most part a lot of stylish men's pieces actually originated around this time.
In fact, many modern-day fashion brands are taking inspiration from the past and creating updated versions of retro classics. For example, you can now buy dark-wash slim jeans that wouldn't look out of place in Elvis's wardrobe.
The important thing to remember here is that you should always try and mix your own style interests with the retro looks you're trying to recreate.
There's no use wearing clothes that you don't like for style, so assess your personal style tastes and then try and find ways to incorporate retro clothing that you like wearing.
The best way to do this is by buying key pieces that work with your existing wardrobe. For example, if you're into dark denim, then try and find a pair of dar-wash jeans that will go well with the rest of your clothes.
Alternatively, if you're more interested in vintage t-shirts, look for ways to style them modernly. Wearing a tee with some ripped skinny jeans and fresh sneakers is a great way to make vintage cool again.
Elvis was all about the hair – but some of his styles just wouldn't work today. Click here to check out which hairstyles are attractive in the 21st Century.