I know what you're thinking.
It sounds like the fast food of the style industry.
Then there's the concerns.
Where do the clothes come from?
Are they good quality?
Are they overpriced?
These are legitimate questions.
There are also several benefits to using them.
A large percentage of men prefer shopping online instead of the traditional approach of visiting a mall.
Signing up for a subscription service that sends a box of curated clothing items is fast becoming a popular option for men.
This article is going to cover 5 things to look for in a subscription service before making your purchasing decisions.
- Are they convenient?
- Do they offer good quality?
- Are they personalized to your style preference?
- Do the clothes fit?
- Does the service encourage you to take action?
#1 Convenience of a Subscription Service
Time is a limited resource.
A subscription box provides customers with products through an automatic and convenient process. The payment is pre-determined and subscribers are saved the hassle of deciding what goes into the box.
This saves customers a lot of time that would have been spent in deciding between options at a shop, plus the inconvenience of driving to a mall, time wasted walking around trying to find something you like and the additional expenses involved in such an experience (parking, coffee, lunch, impulse purchases).
A subscription service offers you the convenience of placing your initial order online without having to repeat the process for the duration of the subscription you have agreed to.
#2 Quality of Clothing
The worst thing that can happen is a company that promises you the world but makes no economic sense.
You want a company that:
- Doesn't cut any corners
- Uses reputable brands (so you know where the clothes come from)
- Offers value to you as a customer
A subscription service needs to have a solid business plan to ensure that quality remains a focus over a long durations.
The primary goal of a company offering clothing subscription is value to the subscribers.
- Are subscribers receiving discounts? The products are often of greater value than the subscription fee – allowing customers to save money on products they already want as well as try new products without having to spend the retail price.
- Are the choices minimized? Options cause buyers to become paralyzed with shopping decisions. Subscription services are automated after activation, ensuring a continued monthly service with minimal effort for subscribers. Men are usually more satisfied when the purchasing process requires less work.
- Subscription boxes increase your exposure to new products and brands. This helps customers discover products that suit their preferences and needs.
#3 Personalization Of Subscription Service Packages
I needed a company to fill the holes in my casual wardrobe. Among the five items in the box, the style advisors sent me a jacket and a shirt that I would not have picked on a regular shopping trip. Because I asked them to fill the gap in my casual wardrobe.
You can customize the selection each month to your clothing needs. And the reassuring part is that you have human beings making these smart curations for you, not an algorithm matching your specifications to a sample selection.
The advantage of speaking with a personal style advisor is that you can rest assured that he or she has a lot of experience in the area of men's fashion and will draw on this extensive knowledge to get the right combination of clothes for your box.
And every month, the subscription company takes note of your preferences, improving the selection over time with your feedback.
A subscription company like is not a bargain deal. They are not competing with Target or Walmart, you get premium products through a streamlined process.
#4 Subscription Services Should Offer The Right Fit
Paying attention to the right fit is the primary consideration for any man who wants to look his best.
A clothing subscription company that personalizes your boxes and ensures that the clothes fit you perfectly is a service that is focused on adding value to the customer.
For starters, you won't be wasting postage by sending back clothes because they are the wrong size.
Look for a company who measures the clothing and matches it to the customer's measurements, rather than blindly following the standard sizes recommended by manufacturers.
#5 Subscription Services Should Encourage You To Take Action
A service that allows a risk-free trial is again focused on the customer's needs, not their own bottom-line.
Find a company that offers a discount if you decide to keep the entire contents of the subscription box. That's a great motivator – to top the personalized selection, the extra discount is an extra incentive to try out this company.
If you are not particularly fond of any of the items, you can return it and keep the items you do like. It is likely that you won't like every item in every subscription box your receive.
A company that offers a risk-free returns policy for items you do not wish to keep adds to the excitement of the process.
Be wary of services that send too many items. A 2006 study showed that having less options is better for consumers to make quicker and informed decisions.
A box with 15 items? Forget it!
Men's Style Lab only ship 5 items in a box. From the return label to the interactive website, they make it easy for you to take action.
BONUS – Subscription Services Present A Surprise Factor
There’s an element of novelty to this service. Receiving a box of surprises personally selected for your tastes.
I personally enjoy products more when they have a waiting period that builds anticipation. The excitement of getting a box in the mail that has been specifically curated for me – it's like buying myself a surprise gift.
Presentation matters – the items of the box are carefully wrapped in tissue paper and tied with a ribbon, along with a hand-written note and a detailed breakdown of each item. The process of receiving subscription boxes should be a fun experience!
The Ideal Subscription Process
- Create a profile and submit your Style DNA by answering a few questions on the website.
- Based on your preferences, lifestyle and body type, one of the style advisors will hand-select and send you five items.
- Once you receive your delivery, you have five days to try on your pieces.
- Keep the ones that you love, send back the rest, and pay for what you keep.
- If you love it all, you get 25% off the total bill.
- There is a $20 styling charge that will be billed before you receive your first shipment. After that, you can elect to receive shipments every 30, 60 or 90 days, and the styling charge will be billed accordingly.
Curious about the ONLY Box Clothing Service Antonio trusts?