Jeans for Older Men – Denim for the Professional Man over 30


When jeans were simply work wear they had no age limit.  They worked well on a 25 year old man – they worked well on a 65 year old man.

Over the last 60 years however, jeans have undergone quite a change.

mens denim backshot

Worn by bikers in the fifties, hippies in the seventies, and grunge rockers in the nineties – jeans have morphed into a fashion statement.  With that their simplicity has disappeared – there are now dozens of washes and colors, hundreds of brands, and thousands of fits.  They’ve become a style minefield, another clothing item with unspoken rules that leave many men confused.

And with denim ranging in price from easily over $100 a pair to sometimes as high as $500, the cost of buying a bad pair that you never wear or fall apart prematurely has gone up considerably.

To further confuse matters, the more dollars you spend does not  is not ensure you’re getting better quality.  For some men a $40 pair of Levis will suit their needs perfectly fine – there are going to be others however better served by the high rise of Zegna denim priced at $200.  How do you make a decision?

In this interview I discuss denim with Casey Golden, aka The Butt Therapist.  We discuss how the 30 to 50+ professional man should go about selecting his jeans.

We discuss the perfect brands of denim for men over 30 and for men beyond 50.  You’ll hear us discuss how rise, style, color, fit, and wash all play into which pair will best suit you.

And FYI, Casey is about the most qualified woman on the planet to dispense this advice.  She has helped thousands of men find the perfect pair of jeans through her works as a denim stylist.   On a daily basis she helps men select the jeans that look good on their body and she routinely gives men the tips to achieve the look they want.

And as a special bonus,  Casey threw together a denim article specifically for you – click here to read it!

AG mens denim

Brands we discuss in this Podcast

Higher Price Point Denim – Expect to pay 200 dollars

Adriano Goldschmied  buy on Amazon

Agave Denim  buy on Amazon

7 For All Mankind  buy on Amazon

Zegna Denim

zegna mens denim

Lower Price Point Denim – Can be found well under $100 on sale

Levis  buy on Amazon

Mavi Jeans  buy on Amazon

Lucky Jeans  buy onAmazon

  • Justin Custer

    Great interview!  Thanks for shedding light on what to consider next time I’m purchasing jeans.  – Male, 28, Denver, CO.  

  • Antonio Centeno

    Justin – great to hear from you!  I agree – if you’re even close to 30 you need to start thinking about wearing denim that isn’t too low or sporting a distressed wash better suited for a rock concert.  Unless you’re a musician:) 

  • Rich

    What are your thoughts on raw denim with a sports coat?

  • Anonymous

    I love it and rock it all the time – if you could see my lower half in the videos you would see 90% of the time I have on RAW denim and western boots.  The other 10% of the time I’m in swimming trunks – I’m still waiting for that fad to catch on:)



  • Rick

    Thank you for the great input , always look forward to your emails as they are really helpful . There is simply not enough accurate information for men out there regarding fashion thus many men are clueless about what to wear so they stick to what they consider to be “safe” which could be defined as undesirable in the long run .

    I want to mention that I also found excellent jeans from  Emporio Armani , probably among the best I have ever tried and quite professional looking for denim .

  • Sasank

    Thanks a lot for your interview!!! i will advice my pals to have that!!!

  • Lulu

    Jeans and cowboy boots are very tacky. Low class men love it. This is so passe’ !  It attracts the wrong type of women. Well…. There’s taste for everything. Remember that Hollywood cowboys are a thing of the past. Very much red neck stuff nowadays. Well, well, well… suit yourself. And even worse with Western buckle belts and a hat cowboy hat! Oh boy!… It really smells red neck. 

  • Anonymous

    I’ll ask Casey about the Armani’s next time we talk – I didn’t even know they made jeans!

  • Anonymous

    Thank you!

  • davemcgold95

    I’m 40  + and found some awesome jeans on Couldn’t find any cowboy boots though :-) Not sure if the combination of my age and the cowboy boots style would suit me